Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lucy Callagan

Do you give a fuck about small gang meta ?

Do you give a fuck about small gang meta ?   127 members have voted

1. 1. Do you give a fuck about small gang meta ?

• Yes
    • No
    • What is small gang ?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, Lockout Tagout said:

This thread needs more whining about Assault Frigates being worthless.

Man i really wish the would buff they Kitsune. It isn't cancer enough. it needs to do 400 DPS along with Perma jamming everything.

Edited by Yuengling

Zealot gangs like it's 2009.

On 11/03/2017 at 6:48 PM, capqu said:

small gang is always gonna exist if the game exists
it's what pvpers do when they are bored and looking for something fun - there's usually no objective other than that

While it's a bit exagerrated, it's true that one of the hurdles for small gang is the lack of narrative & objectives. Roaming around without any other purpose than killing shit gets old eventually, at least it did for me.

Eve is fun if you have objectives, and reasons to fight for. You can always set yourself some goals like "getting gud", "learning how to FC", theorycrafting new cool fits, or whatever, but it's harder to find goals as a group. Besides killboards based goals (generally a bad idea), or eventually scoring a good rank at the AT, there is not much to aim for on the long run. You could maybe do smalltime merc contracts, or FW-based objectives like taking back whatever system from other roleplayers, i don't see many more things that would give a lasting appeal to Chessuresque shenanigans.

The meta  has been shifting, but it seems like some things don't change: kiting is the thing, anything else needs implants / logis / RR / any other force multiplier to work. Everytime CCP release a few viable small gang ships i feel a surge of interest, but once you've welped 10 dual prop navy ospreys or RR vagabonds, it becomes a bit boring again. And sometimes CCP fucks up terribly, which makes generally most small gang comps super useless (40k scram HICS, instalocking carriers with insta blapping fighters), until they eventually backpedal.

9 hours ago, Tung Yoggi said:

While it's a bit exagerrated, it's true that one of the hurdles for small gang is the lack of narrative & objectives. Roaming around without any other purpose than killing shit gets old eventually, at least it did for me.

Eve is fun if you have objectives, and reasons to fight for. You can always set yourself some goals like "getting gud", "learning how to FC", theorycrafting new cool fits, or whatever, but it's harder to find goals as a group. Besides killboards based goals (generally a bad idea), or eventually scoring a good rank at the AT, there is not much to aim for on the long run. You could maybe do smalltime merc contracts, or FW-based objectives like taking back whatever system from other roleplayers, i don't see many more things that would give a lasting appeal to Chessuresque shenanigans.

The meta  has been shifting, but it seems like some things don't change: kiting is the thing, anything else needs implants / logis / RR / any other force multiplier to work. Everytime CCP release a few viable small gang ships i feel a surge of interest, but once you've welped 10 dual prop navy ospreys or RR vagabonds, it becomes a bit boring again. And sometimes CCP fucks up terribly, which makes generally most small gang comps super useless (40k scram HICS, instalocking carriers with insta blapping fighters), until they eventually backpedal.

I've enjoyed taking a challenging fight in a small gang more than anything that I've ever done that was ~narrative~ or ~objective~ based, with the exception of the AT. There's something to be said for 0wning in a fight that you shouldn't have won with a handful of other duders that are really mechanically skilled. I don't do that anymore solely because there's no real USTZ groups that really do that anymore.

Same tbh, the feeling of overcoming a much larger group of players with your tight-knit band of non-F1 monkeys is great, whereas generally fulfilling "strategic" objectives is often associated with mind-numbing gameplay (fleet work, when you're not FC / backseat FC / main scout / anchor or whatever pivotal role that requires some thinking). The only other objective I could think of is "keep 0wning": it requires theorycrafting, training, but eventually you are just working towards finding that feeling again, the search for the elusive good fight.

I'd like to see something that mixes both small gang gymnastics with some kind of longer term objectives.

(I might be a little bit jaded)

On 5/4/2017 at 7:39 PM, Mawderator said:

I've enjoyed taking a challenging fight in a small gang more than anything that I've ever done that was ~narrative~ or ~objective~ based, with the exception of the AT. There's something to be said for 0wning in a fight that you shouldn't have won with a handful of other duders that are really mechanically skilled. I don't do that anymore solely because there's no real USTZ groups that really do that anymore.

++

Objective based play is for pushing F1 in big fleets and circlejerking. 

I think the small-gang meta is pretty good at highlighting what in the game is broken. ECM/RLML/Balanced legion are the most notable things but I really don't think that hulls should be balanced solely around their performance in a gang similar to how I wouldn't expect them to be balanced around the assumption that there are 200 people flying one.